Wednesday, October 29, 2014

A Word for Wednesday-Gasconade




Romans 1:  16-17     
“For I am not ashamed of this Good News about Christ. It is the power of God at work, saving everyone who believes—the Jew first and also the Gentile. This Good News tells us how God makes us right in his sight. This is accomplished from start to finish by faith. As the Scriptures say, “It is through faith that a righteous person has life.”
 gasconade [gas-kuh-neyd]
1. extravagant boasting; boastful talk.   
2.  to boast extravagantly; bluster.

not exactly a quality we’d like to develop.   nothing more irritating and cause for eye rolling. you know what i mean...that perfect mom who just goes on and on and on about those kids of hers and all their awards!  or that guy at work who just keeps ON talking about how great he is at this or that.   (well, ok, maybe I can gasconade for an hour or so about my beautiful intelligent gifted funny smart sweet sensitive generous loving kind cute amazing photogenic precious precocious unprecedented granddaughter.  but that's not EVEN the same thing.  it's not.  i checked.) 

There is one time we’re given special permission to gasconade and that's when it comes to who we are in Jesus. “May I never boast EXCEPT in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.”  (Gal. 6:14) That's when we get to pour it on thick!  I mean.  He picked ME! That's a big deal.  I love the attitude found in this excerpt of a confession attributed to a young pastor in Zimbabwe who was martyred for his faith in Jesus Christ.  It was found in his study: 

"I am part of the fellowship of the unashamed! I have the Holy Spirit's power! The die has been cast. I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made-I'm a disciple of His! I won't look back, let up, slow down, back away, or be still. My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, and my future is secure. I'm finished with low living, sight walking, smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed visions, worldly talking, cheap giving, and dwarfed goals. I no longer need preeminence, position, promotions, plaudits, or popularity. I don't have to be right, first, tops, recognized, praised, regarded, or rewarded. I now live by faith, depend on His presence, walk by patience, am uplifted by prayer, and labor with power.  I won't give up, shut up, let up, until i have stayed up, stored up, prayed up paid up, preached up for the cause of Christ.  I am a disciple of Jesus.  I must go til he comes, give til I drop, share til all know and work til he stops me.  And when he comes for his own, He will have no problem recognizing me....my banner will be clear."  

wow.  That's some pretty big gasconadiing right there.  I want to be able to say that.  to mean that.  to KNOW that.  To love Jesus so much because of all He has done for me that i gush about him even MORE than i gush about my Emma.  

No comments:

Post a Comment