Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Out Came the Son


A few days ago I finished reading, Out Came the Son by Jennifer Marshall.  Because Jennifer is my niece I am familiar with her story.  (She’s married to my sister’s son, but she’s my family!)  I would get updates from my sister quite often as they walked the difficult road of losing their precious Baby Pruitt.  I have a special memory from the day of Pruitt’s funeral in Olive Branch.  Afterwards my husband and I went back to my sister’s house while Jennifer and Jason went to the cemetery.   Their two other children went back to the house as well.  In that time we spent with the kids before Jason and Jennifer got there, Terry played outside with 5 year old Peyton.  They played baseball, soccer, and basketball.  Before each “game” Peyton reminded Terry they had to pray before starting the game.  Peyton prayed for God to keep them safe as they played, that no one would get hurt, and that they would be good sports and not get mad (something I’m sure he need to pray for with his uncle Terry!).  How sweet is that!  This is one godly family who loves Jesus and is teaching their kids to love Jesus.  In just a few days Jennifer & Jason will be taking Peyton to Haiti for a mission trip. 

If you know someone who’s going through any type of loss, please bless them with this book.  It is creatively written and takes an honest look at the hard questions.  I have several ordered to keep at the funeral home where I work.  Because our cemetery has a special section dedication to infants, we often have opportunities to share with hurting families.  Before the book came out I remembered the verses from Lamentations and used Jennifer's poem.

To Jennifer—thank you for sharing such hard things from the very deepest places of your soul.  I don’t know that I would ever be that brave.  Thank you for being so open and honest.  I don’t know that I could ever be that brave.  Thank you for not trying to sugar coat the ugliness of raw emotions.  I know I’d never be that brave. 

But most of all thank you for doing the hard thing for a while, showing us that the Son will come out.  The rain will stop.  Thank you for getting out of bed when you didn’t want to.  Thank you for not giving in to the depression or the lies from the enemy.  Thank you for letting us in on your pain.  That’s a very selfless thing to do.  I see Jesus in your face.  I hear him when I read your words.  I feel him when I cry tears for what you went through.   I rejoice with you in the victory you’ve found. 
http://www.amazon.com/Out-Came-Son-Jennifer-Marshall/dp/1936670879/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403709760&sr=8-1&keywords=Out+Came+the+Son




No comments:

Post a Comment