Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Happy Philippine Tuesday!

Today is a day my family has been observing for the past 30 or so years (sometimes twice a year)--the Tuesday my sweetheart leaves for a mission trip to the Philippines.  The first Philippine Tuesday was way back in 1989 I believe.  It was quite different then.  No cell phones.  No internet.  No updates on Facebook.  Only a HAM radio on the main island.  I talked to Terry once when he arrived in Manila and didn't hear a word until he got back to Manila at the end of the 2 weeks.  But before he left God gave me a Word.  Psalm 121:7-8. "The LORD will keep you from all harm--he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.   When he got back home safe and sound, I was so relieved that he had that mission trip thing out of his system.  But it wasn't long before he started talking about the "next" trip.  When Philippine Tuesday drew closer and closer, I revisited my Word.  And there it was.  Loud as a bullhorn.  "Both now and forevermore."  I knew in that instant this was a forevermore thing.  Nothing to get out of his system.  In fact, that look in his eyes, that passion for the Filipino people and for going in general, that look started to catch fire and spread far beyond anything I thought or imagined.  I've been now several times.  My kids have all been (beginning at the age of 14) more than once.   I wish I could tell you how many trips...how many team members...how many raised hands...how many churches planted.  I just don't know. 
just a few of the dates from an old Bible

 When the kids were little Philippines Tuesday actually became a recognized "NO SCHOOL" solemn occasion.  I will not use the word "holiday" in case you get the idea we were celebrating our daddy leaving home for two weeks!  We'd take Terry to the airport - Tupelo for the most part in those days - and a crowd of folks would come to see him and the mission team off.  I'd come up with stuff for the kids to do and we ate out a lot!

 It's gotten a little easier over the years as the kids have grown up.  But the night before he leaves my heart is always just a little thumpy. But I stand on my Word and have confidence that the God who loves my husband more than i possibly could will take care of  him and everyone who is with him. 

Things have certainly changed over the years.  But the mission is the same.  Share Christ in the power of the Holy Spirit.  Go.  Tell.  Be changed.  HAPPY PHILIPPINE TUESDAY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment